Wednesday, February 6, 2008

So are you Male, Female, or umm.... other?

When it comes to our society's present gender binary, I find myself morally, ethically, and socially confused about which side/s to join in on.  I am personally disgusted that we deem in necessary to classify every organism/being that is encountered, although I can see a scientific advantage to this.  With classification and dissection comes knowledge and a better understanding of whatever organism is under the microscope.  However as for people, why do we feel a need to classify different personality traits and mannerisms, associate them with physical features, and combine all of that into science?  Beetles aren't stereo-typed between gender based on what they do that's more feminine or masculine, so why humans?  

It goes back to the need to classify and categorize what we encounter to be more prepared to react or expect certain actions.  This, too can be excused for mere survival skills, but modern society has taken it one step further into discrimination based on these specific actions and tendencies.  So on this perspective, it's my humble opinion that the entire class system should be disregarded and people should be met and considered as people.  Not judged by who they are and what they do, but rather how they do it (a little Beatles philosophy for you).

Yet there is also another side of me, that agrees with the scientific approach.  And here is one of my biggest dilemmas: I feel more comfortable if I can categorize a person when I met them, so I know what to expect from them and as a result can effectively react to specific remarks and actions.  While I want to blame human nature on this tendency of mine, I also have to remind myself that it isn't really 'human nature' that is responsible for this, but society!  So in reality, my mixed emotions on this seem to result from one big vicious circle that society began and continues to impose, and being a part of society, and feeling the need to participate in the gender binary, I only add to my own confusion.

So there we have it; categorization of society can be beneficial because it allows pre-conceived notions to dictate interactions, which can help prevent certain insults and arguments that may have been based on gender differences, but it also helps to promote the arguments that may have resulted in the first supposition.  The entire thing is extremely confused and complicated when I place my own thoughts on the subject.  I do feel it is necessary to say that on an explicitly ethical level, people would be judged by their actions, not their actions associated with their sex and then judged.

No comments: