Friday, February 15, 2008

Gender socialization in action!


When I first read this assignment, the first thing that popped up in my mind, and also the easiest example, was baby Gap. So I go to the website, and what do I see on the first page?  A section about boys and girls, and  the little boy is in bright blue and the girl dressed in a vivid pink.  It's not even just baby Gap, but of course the 'regular' Gap, and generally any clothing store in general.  Even equipment shops for bicycling or rock climbing, etc. have different departments for guys and girls, and there is always pink in the girls and blue in the boys.  

However none of this really surprises me much anymore.  It seems like the more and more I look around, the more I realize how gendered our society has gotten to be.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Marketing is definitely the easiest place to spot it. The Target website is actually very illuminating. I know we already looked at the store, but the website offers their condensed version of what boys and girls SHOULD be playing with. Even more interesting, look at the pull down menus that appear under the "women" and "men" tabs; apparently women don't need luggage. And we definitely don't play sports. ;-)