Friday, February 29, 2008

Chat Room Assignment

So, I am still trying to complete this assignment however at present it's proving difficult for a couple of reasons.  The first of which being that it is extremely hard to find a chat room that is not explicitly or implicitly revolved around sex.  Second, because I am a novice when it comes to chat rooms, it increases the difficulty of my navigation around anything involving chat rooms.  Third, I don't want to download any sort of program or messenger onto my computer, so the availability of non-sexually oriented rooms is deduced.  

While I think this is a good assignment, I really am not into chat rooms, and I don't feel comfortable participating in them especially when unnecessary and irrelevant sexual comments are thrown onto the board every 3.2 seconds.  I'm not sure if this is something that you wanted us to take from the assignment, that there are a lot of perverted, and/or sexually deviant people who use chat rooms and the internet as a way of being able to freely express their thoughts without retribution, and if that was the assignment than I most definitely grasp the main idea.  

From what I did see on some of the chat rooms I visited I observed most of the male identities to be asking questions and the female identities seemed more subservient and coy, merely answering questions and throwing out cute little -isms and flirtatious remarks.  The gender binary we've discussed in class throughout the semester is definitely only exaggerated in the rooms that I found.  I am not sure whether it's all males playing the 'man card', and vice a versa for women, however whomever is doing what generally plays along with the stereotypical gender rules/mannerisms.

No comments: