Friday, February 1, 2008

React to the first couple classes we've had. Is this stuff new? Old hat? Exciting? Bullshit? What do YOU think??

I signed up for this course hoping to thoroughly enjoy lectures and all the time spent in/out/ and on classwork, so far my expectations have been surpassed.  I really am already enjoying all the discussions and activities going on in lecture.  Which is quite a feat since lecture time is 3 hours long, and as of yet, the time has flown by.  
As for the course content, what I really like is that it's a safe environment where I can feel free to express my true opinion even if it's not the liberal typical Boulder view, or likewise a close-minded conservative perspective.  As you can see I already have somewhat of a bias going into this class, but I am hoping to hear different views from all the students and learn more about gender, and people's thought on gender and our society that I have not considered yet, or haven't understood.
I also am surprised at what I've already learned in lecture.  For example the phall-o-meter.. are you kidding me?  The fact that a society that is so technologically advanced and is yet so far behind when it comes to cognitive and logical, not to mention equal thinking really astounds me.  I have a feeling that I'm going to learn and be surprised by a lot in this course.  I was raised in a military, republican family in Colorado Springs with Focus on the Family dominating much of my media, so I think that this course is going to be very insightful and relative to my future ideals and methods of thinking.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Katherine,
I'm so excited that you're open-minded enough to give things like this a chance, particularly when you have been raised with Focus on the Family dominating your media, as you say. I really hope you'll feel comfortable sharing your perspectives in class, and I'll be very excited to hear how talking about these issues may shift your thinking (or not!) by the end of the semester.

Great post.